Use this lesson to:
- Identify the benefits and uses of a Custom Audience.
- Create Custom Audiences.
Why create Custom Audiences?
Custom Audiences from your website is an option that uses the Facebook pixel to match people who visit your website with people on Facebook.
You can create a Custom Audience from your website for any group of visitors that you’d like to reach with specific Facebook ads. For example, you can reach out to people who visited a product page but didn’t complete a purchase to encourage them to go back to the website to do so. Or, you can create an audience of everyone who’s visited your website in the past 30 days.
There are two main ways to use Custom Audiences:
Create a Custom Audience
To create a Custom Audience go to your pixel data, and follow these steps.
Click Create Audience.
Make sure your Facebook pixel is active before you start to create your Custom Audience from your website. Facebook can help match the people who visited your website or people who’ve taken specific actions (events) on your website to their profiles.
Select the specific criteria for your audience. From this menu you have three rule options*:
- All website visitors
- This option includes everyone who visited your website. If you have multiple websites, selecting this option will include people who visited any of your websites.
- People who visited specific web pages
- This option lets you create URL rules to include people based on whether they visited specific websites or web pages. For example: If you specify that the URL should contain “shoes”, you will only capture people who visited web pages with the word “shoes” in the URL.
- Visitors by time spent
- This rule includes or excludes the people who’ve spent the most time on your website. You can modify by what percentile of the people who’ve spent the most time on your website you want to include and the number of days you want us to go back to add visitors (up to 180). This rule can be further modified if you narrow time spent to a specific URL. An example of how to use this is if you have multiple domains, but only want to include visitors who’ve spent the most time on one of them.
*Note: You can combine up to five rules.
Next, give your Custom Audience a name. A name that indicates the criteria you selected could be a helpful way to keep your audiences organized.
When ready, click Create Audience.
Your audience is now created. It will take a few minutes for Facebook to find the right people for the Custom Audience.
From this stage, you can also:
- Create Lookalike Audiences.
- Create an ad with your new Custom Audience.
When you’re finished, click Done.
- You can create up to five rules and certain criteria around specific audiences you’d like to reach.
- Your rule criteria are: all website visitors, visitors by time spent and people who visited a specific page.
If you’d like to learn more about pixel, we suggest you take a look at these other lessons:
- Create and Install Facebook Pixel
- Use Pixel Information to Capture Events