Use this lesson to:
- Understand how people use Stories.
- Identify how Stories can help you build your brand.
- Create a Story for your business.
Engage your audience with Stories
As an advertiser, your ongoing challenge is to create meaningful engagement with your audience. Whatever your product, service or business goal, it’s crucial to communicate with people in a form that’s relevant to them.
In order to build your brand, increase your audience, and engage with current or potential customers, you need to speak in the same language as the people you’re trying to reach. In the world of mobile, that language increasingly is Stories.
The growth of Stories
So, what’s so special about Stories? Why are they growing so quickly?
Stories offer people fun, creative ways to express themselves and connect with what matters to them. People can stitch together video, photo and text overlays to communicate moments with their friends, family and followers.
They’re quick, playful, full screen, attention-grabbing and in real time. The ephemeral aspect means there’s less pressure to be perfect, which drives authenticity. In addition, people can retain and recall information faster on mobile than on desktop and since Stories are optimized for fullscreen, vertical viewing, they allow people to watch multiple videos and photos quickly and fully engaged.
Benefits of Stories for businesses
Stories capture people’s imaginations. But these 24-hour mini-narratives can also strengthen people’s relationships with brands and help drive sales. In fact, more than 1 in 2 people surveyed across 12 countries1 who use Stories said they are making more online purchases as a result.
Share more often
How often is your business sharing content, and how engaging is that content? If you regularly post content to your Facebook Page and Instagram account, or run ads, Stories can help you better connect with your audience through a different type of media that your audience can enjoy and engage with.
Humanize your business
Stories can help people get to know you and your business better. Stories allow you to share more personal and relatable content because they often include the fun, fleeting moments that bring us together.
Reach people in a new way
Stories are a great way to visually share real moments to different audiences in a dynamic way. This immersive, full-screen and ephemeral format has not only connected people to those closest to them, but also to the brands and products they love. You’ll be able to see the number of people that watch your Stories at any point while they’re live.
Stories elements that help you connect with your audience
Stories have a number of unique facets that can help you complement your advertising efforts and stay connected with your audience.
Step by step: Create a Story with the Facebook app
The steps to create and share a Story are generally the same on Facebook, Instagram, Messenger or WhatsApp Status, whether or not you’re using an iOS or Android device. However, there may be minor differences on each platform. The steps shown below are for a Facebook Story on iOS.
1. Start a new Story
- Go to your Page on your mobile device.
- Tap your Page’s profile picture.
2. Select + Create Story
3. Choose your media type
- Boomerang (a short video that loops forward and backward).
- New image: Select Normal and press the shutter.
- New video: Select Normal and press and hold the shutter.
- Or select the camera roll icon to choose an existing image or video from your device.
- Music: Choose from a selection of tracks to play along with your Story.
4. Add effects
- Tap the effects icon.
- Scroll through the available effects.
- Select the ones you want (mix and match and play!).
5. Share your story
- Tap the + Page Story icon to add to your Story.
- Tap Add to your Page’s Story.
- You can also save the image or video for later by tapping the Save icon.
- Tap the Next button to choose to publish to your Page Story, your News Feeds or both.
6. Add to your Story
- Tap your Page’s profile picture to add new elements to your Story.
- Add as many as you like.
- The blue ring around your Page image indicates that your Story is live.
- Your Story will appear in people’s News Feeds for 24 hours after you share your first entry.
Inspire with Stories
Use Stories to reach people where they increasingly spend their time. Organic Stories can build connections with your existing followers, and ads in Stories can help you reach new people (please see the next lesson in the series, Ads in Stories, for more on this).
As a marketer, use Stories to:
- Communicate your brand’s message.
- Engage your audience in fun and innovative ways with the available creative tools.
- Showcase your products, services or place of business.
- Announce a new promotion or marketing initiative.
- Reach and expand your audience where they are.
- Create and share organic Stories from your Facebook Page, Instagram business account, Messenger or WhatsApp (Status).
- Post across Facebook, Instagram, Messenger and WhatsApp Status to maximize your reach.
- Use Stories to reach people often, humanize your business and stay relevant.
- Play with creative elements like interactivity.
This is the second lesson in a series about Stories across the Facebook family. Please explore the others to learn more.