How messaging plays a role in your strategy
Messaging can play a role at every stage of the customer journey. Examine the path your customers take to identify potential points of conversation.
Create great messaging experiences
There are several ways to deliver great messaging experiences for your customers. Follow these simple principles:
Communicate the value of chatting
Clearly convey what you’re offering through chat, and ensure that it shows up on your point of entry to messaging.
Respond to customer messages as quickly as you can. If a live agent can’t respond immediately, use instant replies or away messages, and let people know when they can expect a response.
Let customers know when their chat experience is automated, and explain the capabilities and limitations of the system. When possible, enlist a live agent to step in and address specific needs.
Give customers control
Give customers the opportunity to opt-out of promotional messages.
Show your brand personality
Consider how your brand voice translates to messaging platforms. If you’d like to inject more personality into your interactions, experiment with media like GIFs, Live, short videos and emojis.
Test, learn and iterate with every aspect of your c-commerce experience. Start small with a focused objective. Then expand as you determine how you can effectively implement messaging.
Campaign objectives for ads that click to Messenger or WhatsApp
As you develop your c-commerce campaign in Ads Manager, consider which of these objectives will best suit your business goals:
- Messages (Messenger and WhatsApp): Reach people who are more likely to respond.
- Conversions (Messenger and WhatsApp): Use the Facebook pixel to observe how people interact with a website and increase conversions.
- Traffic (WhatsApp only): Drive as many people as possible into a conversation.
- Post engagement (WhatsApp only): Encourage people to engage with a Facebook post.
Once your ad is developed, approved and live, it redirects people who engage with it to Messenger or WhatsApp and your welcome message greets them.
Note: Some objectives are only available in select countries. Please speak to your Facebook representative to learn more. Also, you can’t target ads that click to Messenger or WhatsApp to people under the age of 18.
WhatsApp for small businesses:
To respond to conversations from ads that click to WhatsApp more easily, install the WhatsApp Business app on your device.
Small business owners can use the WhatsApp Business app to:
- Set up a business profile that greets customers with a professional look and feel.
- Create a catalog that acts as a digital storefront.
- Set automatic greetings, quick replies and away messages to improve responsiveness.
- Use customized labels to keep conversations organized.
Note: If you’re using ads that click to WhatsApp without the WhatsApp Business app, you will not be able to use the messages objective.
WhatsApp for medium to large businesses:
To communicate with customers at scale, use the WhatsApp Business API. This gives medium and large businesses three ways to interact with customers.
Customer reach: Engage with customers who initiate a conversation from ads that click to WhatsApp or offline ads (for example, printed posters that offer a deal or coupon for starting a conversation with your business)
Customer care: Send customer care messages for free within a 24-hour window of the last received customer message
Notifications: Business-initiated templated messages, such as order confirmation messages, which can be sent at any time
If you’d like to use WhatsApp Business API, submit more information about your business for consideration. You can also contact your Facebook representative if you already have one.
Manage conversations on Messenger
Consider the following as you manage conversations on Messenger:
Connect Instagram to your Facebook page. Manage Instagram and Facebook messages in one place with the Page inbox.
Use labels. Labels can filter conversations by use case or importance, such as purchase status or urgent customer issues. They can also allocate or redirect messages to other members of your team.
- Set up automated responses. Instant Replies greet someone when they first initiate chat with your business. Quick replies provide up to 13 buttons within a conversation, which can help your customers respond more efficiently. Lastly, away messages send automatic replies to customers you’ve spoken to before when you can’t be there to respond to their messages immediately.
Note: Some products are only available in select countries. To learn more, please speak to your Facebook representative.
Manage conversations on WhatsApp
Consider the following as you manage conversations on WhatsApp:
- Set expectations in the ad. Descriptive visuals and text help prepare people for a chat conversation. Use graphics that look like speech bubbles so people know they’re clicking through to WhatsApp. Also, remember to explain the value of the WhatsApp experience.
- Use labels. Labels filter your conversations to make them easier to manage. You can label conversations to track pending payments, new orders and more.
- Display products and services. Build your mobile storefront with a catalog to showcase and share your products or services with your customers.
- Use messaging tools. Create automated greeting messages to engage with new customers. Set away messages to let customers know when you’ll be back, or build quick replies to answer frequently asked questions.Note: Some products are only available in select countries. To learn more, please speak to your Facebook representative.
Facebook advertising solutions
Use automatic placements
Automatic placements enable the system to place your ads on any of our platforms for a more efficient use of your budget.
Sell directly with Facebook Shops
Facebook Shops enables you to make direct sales on Facebook or Instagram using Messenger. Once your shop is created, Commerce Manager can help you set up your inventory, manage orders, track payouts and get insights.
Generate quality leads at scale with messaging
Lead generation ads that click to Messenger can improve both the volume and quality of your leads. You can create lead generation ads that click to Messenger, which allows you to qualify leads and continue conversations with people interested in your business.
Create dynamic ads that click to Messenger
Dynamic ads show your most relevant products to the right people. They can also click to Messenger, which enables people to express their interest through messaging.
Re-engage your customers
Sponsored message ads let you re-engage with people you’ve spoken to in Messenger more than 24 hours and less than one year ago. They’re ideal for sending offers, business updates and more
Build your c-commerce campaign with a partner
Businesses who prefer not to manage their own c-commerce campaigns can enlist the expertise of third-party partners. Some of the advantages include:
- Outsourcing of business needs, such as hosting, infrastructure and maintenance
Go-to-market efficiencies and faster launch
Access to messaging best practices and guidance
Expert ad targeting, retargeting and visibility set up on multiple surfaces
Powerful advertising analytics and reporting information
Ease of setup, from supply chain to inventory management
Order management and fulfillment, logistical tracking and multiple payment options within Messenger
See our comprehensive list of partners to find one that meets your business needs.
Map conversations through the consumer journey.
Identify potential points of conversation at each stage of the funnel by matching them to the relevant topics.
Study the purchase journey of your customers to identify potential points where messaging can fit in.
Communicate the value of chatting with your business.
Be timely in your replies.
- Consider enlisting third-party partners to manage your c-commerce needs.
Check out these courses and articles to learn more about the Facebook family of apps and services.